Sport is an integral part of the fabric of life in the UK and a significant contributor to UK GDP.
The UK family of nations are passionate about sport and the UK is a sports powerhouse boasting many of the leading global sports brands (The Premier League, Wimbledon, Formula One to name but three) and exerting unique and probably unrivalled influence over the global sports events market and sports value chain.
The very public profile, commercial risk position and dynamic nature of this sector demand that athletes, clubs, associations and sports rights holders require access to expert legal advice from lawyers who know their game.
Mike Townley leads the specialist sports team at Moore Law. Known for his work in anti-doping, broadcasting and sponsorship agreements, he also has experience as in-house counsel to the International Paralympic Committee.
More generally, the firm is known for its work with sports federations, organisations and athletes. This includes advising on rules and regulations, discipline, competition law and trademarking/IP.
In addition, it increasingly represents social media influencers who have broadcasting interests in e-sports, gaming and celebrity events. In this regard, founder Tris Moore and Head of Digital, Scott Appleton are recommended.
- Playing contracts, players’ name, brand and image rights, endorsement and sponsorship
- Business formation, shareholders agreements and investment and exit and strategies
- Commercial Contracts, terms and conditions of supply, distribution and joint venture, subcontracting, maintenance and licensing agreements
- Advice on club constitution, membership and rules, charitable status and incorporation
- Sports event management contracts
- Negotiation and settlement of disputes, international arbitration and doping and disciplinary hearings
- Prosecution and defence of civil and defence of criminal actions (working with leading barristers)
- Athlete representation