Mike TownleyHead of Sport
Mike has a full range of experience across all the different areas of sport law, including all regulatory aspects, commercial and broadcasting.
Mike also maintains a broader commercial practice, acting for companies and business owners in the entertainment, creative and tech sectors.
- Intellectual property and licensing
- Share sales, shareholders’ agreements and partnership structures
- Sponsorship, merchandising and other sport commercial matters
- Sports regulation and governance
- UK & EU trade marks, registration and disputes
- BA (Hons) in Politics, York University 1984
- Law Conversion, College of Law – Guildford, 1985
- Law Society ‘Finals’, College of Law – Guildford, 1986
- Admitted as a Solicitor and Member of the Law Society in 1988.
- Runner and Triathlete, currently Chair of Brighton Phoenix Athletics and Triathlon Club. Also a keen cyclist who has cycled solo 4,000 miles across Canada.
- Slowing down due to the miles-on-the-clock but still active most days. Also slowing down due to his interest in wine and traditional beers.
- Lives in Hove with his wife and three children.
Gerben Smit, CEO,Smit Mobile Equipment BV"Mike Townley is a great lawyer, a very nice person, extremely committed to client matters. A wonderful combination of knowledge and passion."
Dr Colin Dourish, CEOP1vital Limited“Mike Townley has a unique background, having worked for years as General Counsel of the International Paralympic Committee.”
LEGAL 500TMT – Media and Entertainment“In the 14 years that I have known Mike Townley, apart from his obvious and deep experience, he understands the strengths and weaknesses of a given case, from both sides, and therefore knows how to position the strategy to maximise the effectiveness of the case. He is not afraid of giving an honest appraisal, which is invaluable in avoiding lost causes and so keeping costs to a minimum. Whilst giving the process the opportunity to be resolved before further escalation is necessary, so providing an exit if required, if needs be Mike is very capable of resolutely pursuing the case to its conclusion. I cannot recommend him highly enough.”
LEGAL 500Technology Media and Telecoms – Sport“Highlights for Moore Law included advising Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club on a pouring and sponsorship rights agreement with major Sussex brewer Harveys; and acting for Fontwell Park Steeplechase on its hosting of the Mutiny Festival, a matter involving negotiation with festival organisers and festival landowners to protect the Fontwell facilities and track. It also advised Technogym UK on various new media, communication and privacy initiatives. Tristram Moore heads the boutique sports practice, and ‘continues to increase the firm’s relationships with sports clients through his sector knowledge and his ability to get the job done’. Other notable clients include The Sidemen, Trainerspotter and Joe Weller.”